Math - 2019-20
7.1e - Absolute Value
7.1 The student will
e) identify and describe absolute value of rational numbers.
- I can avoid getting a speeding ticket, find total distances traveled regardless of direction, figure the commission charged for exchanging currency, and verify monthly balance of bank account after deposits and withdrawals.
- I will
realize that absolute value refers to the distance, difference, and change between locations and magnitudes of numbers.
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD
· The absolute value of a number is the distance from 0 on the number line regardless of direction. Distance is positive (e.g., ).
· The absolute value of zero is zero.
- Why is the
absolute value of a number positive?
The absolute value of a number represents distance from zero on a number line regardless of direction. Distance is positive.
The student will use problem solving, mathematical communication, mathematical reasoning, connections, and representations to
· 7.1e1 Demonstrate
absolute value using a number line.
· 7.1e2 Determine the absolute value of a rational number.
· 7.1e3 Show that the distance between two rational numbers on the number line is the absolute value of their difference, and apply this principle to solve practical problems.