Math - 2019-20
5.11 - Elapsed Time
The student will
- solve practical problems related to elapsed time in hours and
minutes within a 24-hour period.
- So that I can determine how much time I have left to complete a task
- So that I can find the amount of time I have to wait until an event begins or ends
- So that I know how much time I have spent on…
- So that I can figure out how much I can get done within a given time (i.e how many rides do I have enough time to get on at the amusement park)
- So that I can plan my day
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD
- Elapsed time is the amount of time that has passed between two given times.
- Elapsed time can be found by counting on from the beginning time or counting back from the ending time.
The student will use problem solving, mathematical communication, mathematical reasoning, connections, and representations to
- Solve practical problems related to elapsed time in hours and minutes within a 24-hour period:
- when given the beginning time and the ending time, determine the time that has elapsed;
- when given the beginning time and amount of elapsed time in hours and minutes, determine the ending time; or
- when given the ending time and the elapsed time in hours and minutes, determine the beginning time.
Updated: May 29, 2019