Social Studies - 2019-20
WG.6 b - Physical and Environmental Features of Latin America and Caribbean
The student will analyze the characteristics of the Latin American and Caribbean regions by
b) describing major physical and environmental features;
Theme: Cultural Diffusion & Conflict (Location, Place, Human-Environment Interaction, Movement, Region)What factors have helped shape this region’s culture?
How have Latin America's varied landscapes affected the region's development?
Latin America's landforms include highlands, lowlands, mountains, and plains.
The Andes Mountains and Amazon River are the region's most remarkable physical features.
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD
The physical features of Latin America
and the Caribbean have influenced their
settlement and development.
Major physical and environmental features
- Major mountain ranges: Andes, Sierra Madres
- Isthmus of Panama
- Rain forests
- Coastal desert: Atacama
- Reversed seasons south of the equator
- Amazon River Basin
- Orinoco and Paraguay/Paraná rivers
- Grasslands: Pampas, llanos
- Tropical climates predominate
- Volcanoes and earthquakes
- Vertical zonation (tierra caliente, tierra templada, tierra fría)