Social Studies - 2019-20
WG.5 c - Economic Characteristics of US and Canada
The student will analyze the characteristics of the regions of the United States and Canada by
c) explaining important economic characteristics;
Theme: Cooperation & Conflict (Location, Place, Human-Environment Interaction, Movement, Region)How has the abundance of natural resources shaped the development of the United States and Canada?
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD
The United States and Canada have a wide variety of natural resources.
The abundance of natural resources
helped the United States and Canada
develop diversified economies.
- Major exporters of technology, information systems, and foodstuff
- Highly developed infrastructures
- Highly diversified economies
- Rich supply of mineral, energy, and forest resources
- North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)
- Multinational corporations
- A key center of world financial markets (New York Stock Exchange)
- Economic growth
- Disparity of income distribution
- Export of culture via the global marketplace (e.g., McDonald’s, Coca-Cola, entertainment, fashion)
- High literacy rate
- High standard of living
Major natural resources
- Fertile soil