Social Studies - 2019-20
1.5e - Develop Map Skills
The student will develop map skills by
e) constructing simple maps, including a title, map legend, and compass rose.
Maps help us learn about the world around us.
Maps help us find places we want to go.
Maps help us find the way to places we want or need to go.
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD
Symbols and cardinal directions are used to determine where objects and places are located on maps and globes.
The United States and Virginia can be identified by their shapes on maps and globes.
Terms to know
- map: A drawing that shows what places look like from above and where
they are located
- globe: A round model of Earth
- symbol:A picture or thing
that stands for something else
- cardinal directions:The
directions of north, east, south, and west
- title: The name of a map or what kind it is
- map legend: A list of shapes and symbols used on a map and an
explanation of what each one stands for
- compass rose: A symbol that shows direction (north, east, south, and
west) on a map
Symbols to identify on a map
The terms north, east, south, and west are used to determine location on simple maps.
Virginia and the United States may be located by their shapes on maps and globes.