Social Studies - 2019-20
1.10a-e - Being a Good Citizen in My Class, School, Community, and State
The student will apply the traits of a good citizen by
a) focusing on fair play, exhibiting good sportsmanship, helping others, and treating others with respect;
b) recognizing the purpose of rules and practicing self-control;
c) working hard in school;
d) taking responsibility for one’s own actions;
e) valuing honesty and truthfulness in oneself and others.
Good citizens help communities grow and be strong
People are alike and different
There are many things (factors, characteristics) that people have in common
There are many things (factors, characteristics) that make people different from one another
I can be successful in many different areas (parts) of my life
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD
Good citizens show a variety of positive traits.
Good citizens show respect to others even when they disagree.
Rules are made so that everyone is treated fairly.Good citizens help make decisions in their classrooms by voting when the chance is provided.
Students can demonstrate good citizenship by
- playing fairly
- exhibiting good sportsmanship
- helping others
- treating others with respect
- recognizing the purpose of rules
- practicing self-control
- working hard in school
- taking responsibility for their own actions
- valuing honesty and truthfulness in themselves and others
- participating in classroom decision making.
Reasons for rules
- To protect the rights of people
- To provide suggestions for good behavior
- To keep people safe
Reasons for voting
- To voice your opinion