Social Studies - 2019-20
1.6 - Landforms, Climate and Seasons
The student will develop a geographic understanding that
a) the location of Virginia determines its climate and results in four distinct seasons; and
b) the landforms of Virginia affect the places people live.
Where people live affects how they live.
The environment affects how we live.
People adapt to the geography of their surroundings.
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD
Virginia is located on the southeastern coast of the United States.Landforms of Virginia include hills, mountains, valleys, and the coastal plain.
Terms to know
- climate: The kinds of weather an area has over a long period of time
- physical surroundings: Land and bodies of water present in a given
- season: Any one of the four phases of the year (spring, summer, fall, or
- location: The place where a particular point or
object exists on the surface of Earth
- landform: A shape or feature of Earth’s surface
The climate of Virginia is mild.
Virginia has four distinct seasons that include spring, summer, fall, and winter.
Landforms affect where people build houses and communities.
Location, climate, and physical surroundings affect the way people in Virginia meet their basic wants.