Math - 2018-19
T.2 - Unit Circle
T.2 The student will develop and apply the properties of the unit circle in degrees and radians.
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD
· Triangular trigonometric function definitions are related to circular trigonometric function definitions.
· Knowledge of the unit circle is a useful tool for determining all six trigonometric values for special angles (30°, 45°, 60°, and 90°).
· The relationships between the angle measures and side lengths of special right triangles (30°-60°-90° and 45°-45°-90°) are widely used in mathematics.
· Special right triangles may be used to develop the unit circle.
· Unit circle properties will allow special angle and related angle trigonometric values to be found without the aid of a graphing utility.
· Degrees and radians are units of angle measure.
· A radian is the measure of the central angle that is determined by an arc whose length is the same as the radius of the circle.· There is a connection between sides and angles of special right triangles, the unit circle, and the coordinate plane.
The student will use problem solving, mathematical communication, mathematical reasoning, connections, and representations to
· T.21 Define the six circular trigonometric functions of an angle in standard position.
the properties of the unit circle to determine
trigonometric function values of special angles and their related angles in
both degrees and radians without using a graphing utility.
the properties of the unit circle to convert
between special angles expressed in radians and degrees, without using a