Math - 2018-19
MA.11 - Matrices
MA.11 The student will use matrices to organize data and will add and subtract matrices, multiply matrices, multiply matrices by a scalar, and use matrices to solve systems of equations.
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD
· Matrices may be used to solve systems of equations.
· Matrices can model a variety of linear systems.
· Solutions of a linear system are values that satisfy every equation in the system.
· Matrices can be used to model and solve real-world problems.
The student will use problem solving, mathematical communication, mathematical reasoning, connections, and representations to
· MA.112 Add, subtract, and multiply matrices.
· MA.111 Multiply matrices by a scalar.
problems with a system of no more than three linear equations.
a system of linear equations as a matrix equation.
a system of equations using matrices.
the inverse of a two-by-two or three-by-three matrix using paper and pencil.
· MA.117 Verify two matrices are inverses using matrix multiplication.
the commutative and associative properties for matrix addition and