Math - 2018-19
MA.6 - Conic Sections
MA.6 The student will investigate, graph, and identify the properties of conic sections from equations in vertex and standard form.
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD
· Matrices can be used to represent transformations of figures in the plane.
· A conic section is a figure formed by the intersection of a plane with a right circular cone. Conic sections include the parabola, circle, ellipse, and hyperbola.
The student will use problem solving, mathematical communication, mathematical reasoning, connections, and representations to
· MA.61 Given a translation or rotation matrix, determine an equation for the transformed function or conic section.
and verify graphs of transformed
conic sections, using a graphing utility.
· MA.63 Graph conic sections from equations written in vertex or standard form using transformations.
· MA.64 Identify properties of conic sections.