Science - 2018-19
CH.4 c - Solutions & Concentrations
The student will investigate and understand that chemical quantities are based on molar relationships. Key concepts include:
c) solution concentrations.
Bloom's Levels: Analyze; Understand
- A solution has characteristics dependent upon its concentration.
- I can dilute a concentrated cleaning product to mop my kitchen.
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD
- Molarity = moles of solute/L of solution.
- [ ] refers to molar concentration.
- when solutions are diluted, the moles of solute present initially remain.
- The saturation of a solution is dependent on the amount of solute present in the solution.
In order to meet this standard, it is expected that students will
c) perform calculations involving the molarity of a solution, including dilutions.
interpret solubility curves.
boiling point elevation, colligative property, colloid, concentration, freezing point depression, heat of solution, Henry's law, immiscible, insoluble, miscible, molarity, mole fraction, osmosis, osmotic pressure, saturated solution, solubility, soluble, solvation, supersaturated solution, suspension, Tyndall effect, unsaturated solution, vapor pressure lowering