Math - 2018-19
Graphs are present in many real world situations. We can use graphs to show our class’s favorite pet. Stores can use graphs to show the number of video games sold each month.
Graphs are an organized way to display data. If we graph the number of video games that we sell each month, it is easy to see the number of games we have sold.
- It is important for students to begin developing the skill of being able interpret data to gain insights as a means to answer questions, make predictions and to make generalizations at a young age so they can be ready to do the same with more complex information at higher levels.
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD
- Statements that represent an analysis and interpretation of the characteristics of the data in the graph (e.g., similarities and differences, least and greatest, the categories, and total number of responses) should be discussed with students and written.
- When data are displayed in an organized manner, the results of investigations can be described, and the questions posed can be answered.
All students should
- Understand how to read the key used in a graph to assist in the analysis of the displayed data.
- Understand how to interpret data in order to analyze it.
- Understand how to analyze data in order to answer the questions posed, make predictions, and generalizations.
The student will use problem solving, mathematical communication, mathematical reasoning, connections, and representations to
- Analyze information from simple picture graphs, pictographs, and bar graphs by writing at least one statement that covers one or both of the following:
- Describe the categories of data and the data as a whole (e.g., the total number of responses).
- Identify parts of the data that have special characteristics, including categories with the greatest, the least, or the same.
- Select the best analysis of a graph from a set of possible analyses of the graph.
picture graphs, pictographs, bar graph, analysis, similarities, differences, least, greatest, categories, prediction