Social Studies - 2018-19
VS.3c - Virginia Company of London
The student will demonstrate an understanding of the first permanent English settlement in America by
c) describing the importance of the charters of the Virginia Company of London in establishing the Jamestown settlement.
- Every group of people needs a political structure.
- Political rights and freedoms can motivate individuals to come to a new land.
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD
The King of England had the power to grant charters allowing settlement in North America.
Importance of Virginia charters
The King of England granted charters to the Virginia Company of London to
- establish a settlement in North America
- define the physical boundaries of the colony
- extend English rights to the settlers.