Social Studies - 2018-19
WG.13 d - Cultural Influences and Landscapes of Australia and Pacific Islands
The student will analyze the characteristics of the Australian and Pacific Islands regions by
d) recognizing cultural influences and landscapes.
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD
Although many locations are isolated
and populations are small, the vast
ocean environment of the region
influences contemporary culture.
- Pacific Islands are sparsely populated.
- Most of Australia’s population lives near the coasts.
- Traditional culture continues to shape life in the Pacific Islands.
- Lifestyles range from subsistence farming to modern city living.
- Cultures reflect the interaction of European and indigenous cultures (e.g., Maori, Aboriginal people).
- Sydney Opera House
- Cattle and sheep stations (Australia)
- Thatched-roof dwellings (Pacific Islands)