Social Studies - 2018-19
WG.7 b - Physical and Environmental Features of Europe
The student will analyze the characteristics of the European region by
b) describing major physical and environmental features;
What effect does Europe's physical geography have on its people?
Europe is composed of many peninsulas and islands.
Europe's landforms also include large plains and mountain ranges.
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD
Europe is composed of many
peninsulas, islands, large plains, and
Major physical and environmental features
- Part of large landmass called Eurasia
- Peninsulas: Iberian, Italian, Scandinavian, Balkan, Jutland
- Islands: Great Britain, Ireland, Sicily, Iceland
- Mountains: Alps, Pyrenees
- North European Plain
- Water features
- Rivers: Danube, Rhine, Seine, Volga
- Seas: Mediterranean, Baltic, Black, North, Aegean, Adriatic
- Oceans: Atlantic, Arctic
- Strait of Gibraltar
- Varied climatic regions: middle to high latitudes
- Effects of the North Atlantic Drift and prevailing westerlies on Europe’s climates
- Reclaimed land: Polders in the Netherlands