Math - 2018-19
1.15 - Equality
The student will
- demonstrate an understanding of equality through the use of the equal symbol.
- So that I know that the equal sign means that the expressions on either side have the same value, similar to a balanced scale.
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD
The student will use problem solving, mathematical communication, mathematical reasoning, connections, and representations to
- Describe the
concept of equality.
- Identify equivalent values and represent
equalities through the use of objects, words, and the equal (=) symbol.
- Identify and describe expressions that are
not equal (e.g., 4 + 3 is not equal to 3 + 5).
- Recognize that equations can be used to represent the relationship between two expressions of equal value (e.g., 4 + 2 = 2 + 4 and 6 + 1= 4 + 3).
- Model an equation that represents the relationship of two expressions of equal value.
Updated: Aug 22, 2018