Social Studies - 2018-19
K.5abc - Maps and Places with Historical Events
The student will use simple maps and globes to
a) develop an awareness that a map is a drawing of a place to show where things are located and that a globe is a round model of Earth;
b) describe places referenced in historical events, stories, and real-life situations;
c) locate land and water features
- Maps help us learn about the world around us.
- Maps help us find places we want to go.
- Maps help us find the way to places we want or need to go.
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD
Maps and globes represent Earth and sometimes include map legends.
The location of places referenced in stories and real-life situations can be shown on maps and globes.Land and water features can be found on maps and globes.
Terms to know
- map: A drawing that shows what a place looks like from above
- globe: A round model of Earth
- model: Something that stands for something else
- symbol: A picture or thing that stands for something else
- map legend: A list of shapes and symbols used on a map and an
explanation of what each one stands for
Maps or globes can show the location of places referenced in stories and real-life situations.
Maps can show simple representations of classrooms, playgrounds, neighborhoods, rivers, and oceans.Land and water features on maps and globes are shown by different colors.