Social Studies - 2018-19
K.11d - Memorial Day & Independence Day
The student will develop an understanding of how communities express patriotism through events and symbols by
d) recognizing the holidays and the people associated with the holidays Thanksgiving Day; Martin Luther King, Jr., Day; George Washington Day (Presidents’ Day); and Independence Day (Fourth of July).
- Good citizens help communities grow and be strong.
- I can show pride in my community and country through patriotic songs and activities.
- Celebrating holidays helps us remember the important people and events in our past.
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD
We celebrate holidays to remember people and
events of long ago. Some holidays inspire patriotism.
Term to know
- patriotism: Feeling of respect for and love of country and state
Holidays to know
- Independence Day (Fourth of July): This is a day to remember when the
United States became a country. It is sometimes called America’s birthday. It
is observed in July.