Social Studies - 2018-19
K.11c - President & Election Day
The student will develop an understanding of how communities express patriotism through events and symbols by
c) knowing that the president is the leader of the United States.
- Good citizens help communities grow.
- The United States has a President who is the leader of the country.
- Good citizens vote for the President.
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD
States has a leader, who is called the president.
Term to know
- patriotism: Feeling of respect for and love of country and state
The president is the leader of the United States.
Holidays to know
- Thanksgiving Day: This is a day to remember the sharing of the harvest
between the American Indians and the Pilgrims. It is observed in November.
- Martin Luther King, Jr., Day: This is a day to remember an African
American man who worked so that all people would be treated fairly. It is
observed in January.
- George Washington Day (Presidents’ Day): This is a day when we honor all
presidents of the United States, especially George Washington. It is observed
- Independence Day (Fourth of July): This is a day to remember when the
United States became a country. It is sometimes called America’s birthday. It
is observed in July.