Social Studies - 2018-19
K.7 - The Way People Live
The student will describe how the location, climate, and physical surroundings of a community affect the way people live, including their food, clothing, shelter, transportation, and recreation.
- Where people live affects how they live.
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD
Geography includes the study of locations, climates, and physical surroundings.
Location, climate, and physical surroundings affect the way people live.
Terms to know
- location: Where people live
- climate: The kinds of weather an area has over a long period of time
- physical surroundings: Land and bodies of water present in a given
- season: Any one of the four phases of the year (spring, summer, fall, or
- transportation: A way of moving people and things from one place to
Location, climate, and physical surroundings affect the way people in a community meet their basic wants. This includes the
- foods they eat
- clothing they wear
- types of houses they build.
Communities use various types of transportation to meet their needs.
Geography affects how people travel from one place to another and determines which recreational activities are available in a location.