Social Studies - 2018-19
K.6 - Basic Map Concepts
The student will develop an awareness that maps and globes
a) show a view from above;
b) show things in smaller size; and
c) show the position of objects.
- Maps help us learn about the world around us.
- Maps help us find places we want to go.
- Maps help us find the way to places we want or need to go.
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD
Basic map concepts
will help students use maps and globes.
Basic concepts about maps and globes
- Land and water features can be shown on a map as viewed from above.
- Maps and globes show features in a smaller size than they are in real
- Locations can be found using a map, globe, geographic tool, or
Viewing and using simple maps helps to develop an awareness of where people and things are located in the community.