Math - 2018-19
4.9 - Elapsed Time
- will solve
practical problems related to elapsed time in hours and minutes within a
So that when I am at the movies, I can use elapsed time to determine what time the movie will end, so that I can plan the rest of my day
So that I can use elapsed time to figure out what time lunch starts and ends
So that I can know how long it is between the beginning of school and lunch
So that I can know how long it is between the beginning of school and resource
So that I can use the concept of elapse time to organize by everyday life
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD
- Elapsed time is the amount of time that has passed between two given times.
- Elapsed time should be modeled and demonstrated using analog clocks and timelines.
- Elapsed time can be found by counting on from the beginning time or counting back from the ending time.
The student will use problem solving, mathematical communication, mathematical reasoning, connections, and representations to
- Solve practical problems related
to elapsed time in hours and minutes, within a 12-hour period (within a.m.,
within p.m., and across a.m. and p.m.):
- when given the beginning time and the ending time, determine the time that has elapsed;
- when given the beginning time and amount of elapsed time in hours and minutes, determine the ending time; or
- when given the ending time and the elapsed time in hours and minutes, determine the beginning time.