Science - 2017-18
PS.6 b - Types of Energy
The student will investigate and understand forms of energy and how energy is transferred and transformed. Key concepts include
b) mechanical, chemical, electrical, thermal, radiant and nuclear energy.
Bloom's Levels: Analyze; Understand
- Energy can be transferred between objects or can be converted into different forms.
- Energy exists in many forms and has the ability to do work or cause a change.
- I can explain how food gives me energy.
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD
- Energy is the ability to do work.
- Important forms of energy include radiant, thermal, chemical, electrical, mechanical, and nuclear energy. Visible light is a form of radiant energy and sound is a form of mechanical energy.
- Energy can be transformed from one type to another. In any energy conversion, some of the energy is lost to the environment as thermal energy.
In order to meet this standard, it is expected that students will
b) identify and give examples of common forms of energy.
design an investigation or create a diagram to illustrate energy transformations.