Math - 2017-18
AII.4a and *AII.3a - Absolute Value Equations
AII.4 The student will solve, algebraically and graphically,
a) absolute value
calculators will be used for solving and for confirming the algebraic
AII.3 The student will solve
a) absolute value linear equations
Bloom's Level: Apply
- I can find how far and how
fast a bus travels, the number and combinations of fruits that can be
purchased, and how long it takes to drain a swimming pool.
- I will be able to write symbolic representations of the
way numbers behave and will know that in order to maintain equality, an
operation performed on one side must also be performed on the other side.
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD
- A quadratic function whose graph does not
intersect the x-axis has roots with
- The quadratic formula can be used to solve any
- The value of the discriminant of a quadratic
equation can be used to describe the number of real and complex solutions.
- The definition of absolute value (for any real
numbers a and b, where b ≥ 0, if |a| = b, then a = b or a = - b) is used in solving absolute value
equations and inequalities.
- Absolute value inequalities can be solved
graphically or by using a compound statement.
- Real-world problems can be interpreted, represented,
and solved using equations and inequalities.
- The process of solving radical or rational
equations can lead to extraneous solutions.
- Equations can be solved in a variety of ways.
- Set builder notation may be used to represent
solution sets of equations and inequalities.
definition of absolute value (for any real numbers a and b, where
b 0, if |a|= b, then a = b or a = − b) is used in solving absolute value equations and inequalities.
· Absolute value inequalities in one variable can be solved algebraically using a compound statement.
AII.4a1 Solve absolute value equations and inequalities algebraically and graphically.
· AII.3a1 Solve absolute value linear equations or inequalities in one variable algebraically.
AII.41 Apply an appropriate equation to solve a real-world problem.
· AII.31 Solve equations and verify algebraic solutions using a graphing utility.
value equations, absolute value inequalities, quadratic equation, complex
numbers, rational algebraic expression, radical expression, algebraically,
graphically, quadratic function, discriminant, real solutions, complex
solutions, monomial, binomial, denominator, quadratic formula, verify,
completing the square